본문으로 바로가기

Structure and Feature of Light Tower

As the first lighthouse in Namhae established on April 12, 1905, Geomun-do lighthouse has lit up the waterway of Namhae for over a century. A structure of concrete, brick and stone, the old round white light tower was originally 6.4m high. With the completion of the consolidated maintenance work in Aug. 2006, Geomun-do lighthouse was reborn as a white reinforced concrete, a 33m- high structure in the shape of a hexagon. The spiraling stairs were newly built too. This new light tower has an observatory which commands the full view of Geomun-do and Baek-do. The big rotary lantern with 3 lamps was moved off its old position and installed on the top of the new tower, contributing to the enhanced safe navigation of ships. Considering the high preservation value of the old light tower as the first lighthouse of Namhae, its external wall and the rotational device were repaired. In addition, a DCB-36 rotary lantern was installed and has been preserved. Geomun-do lighthouse is located in Dadohae (archipelago) National Park, and it is a must-see destination for tourists. It takes about an hour from the passenger ship dock to the lighthouse on foot. You can watch “Munumi (flooding equipment)”Walk beyond Yulim beach passing Samho Bridge. 1.2 km long trail walk follows alongside the camellia trees forest and rock cliffs after “Munumi”. On the edge of the lighthouse cliff, Kwanbekjeong has been installed for tourists to enjoy ocean scenery to their hearts’ content.


  • 1905. 4. Lighthouse lightened(Fresnel type Class 3)
  • 1917. 3. Audible aids installed (vacant fire: May, 1917.3, Air siren: May, 1932)
  • 1939. 3. Radio Beacon commenced
  • 1979. 12. Audible aids (electric horn) improved
  • 1999. 8. DGPS (Differential Global Positioning System) Base station installed
  • 2004. 12. DGPS Transmission antenna improved
  • 2006. 1. Consolidated maintenance work completed
  • 2010. 09. Audible aids changed (Electronic horn)

Lighthouse Facility Information

Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries has selected Geomun-do lighthouse as a pilot lighthouse that provides condominium type accommodations to tourists. It is equipped with tableware, cooking utensils (electric range), sink and bedding in each room. Please visit the homepage of Yeosu Regional Maritime Affairs and Port Administration to learn how to use the accommodations. If you have additional questions, don’t hesitate to call either Geomun-do Lighthouse (061-666-0906) or the Department of Maritime Traffic Facility(061-650-6093).

Location Geomun-do Dongdaegil, Samsan-myeon, Yeosu 299 (n : 34°00.2′, e : 127°19.5′)
The first lighting day 1905. 4
Visual aids model type 3 lapms in large scale (120v - 1000w)
Character of light 1 flas of white light every 15 seconds (FLW15s)
Visibility of light Geographically 24 miles, Optically38 miles, Nominally 23 miles
Audible aids model type Electronic horn
Whistling cycle Whistling once every 50 seconds (Whistle lasts for 5 seconds, silencefor 45 seconds)
Siren arrival distance 2 miles (2.6km)
Employee status 3 employees including a director

Getting there

Yeosu Intercity bus terminal base

Yeosu Intercity bus terminal base (25 minutes by car)→Passenger Terminal of Yeosu Port(twice a day. 2 hours and 20 minutes) →Passenger Terminal of Geomun-do Port (10 minutes by taxi, 1 hour on foot)→Suweol Montain entry (30 minutes on foot)→Geomun-do lighthouse
Take a bus to the lower road across the intercity bus terminal when using a city bus

Yeosu Station base

Yeosu Station (7 minutes by car)→Passenger Terminal of Yeosu Port (twice a day. 2 hours and 20 minutes) →Passenger Terminal of Geomun-do Port (10 minutes by taxi, 1 hour on foot)→Suweol Montain entry (30 minutes on foot)→Geomun-do lighthouse
Every bus to Yeosu Station passes the Passenger Terminal. It costs only basic rage by taxi.

Nok-dong Intercity bus terminal base

Nok-dong intercity bus terminal (20 minutes on foot)→Passenger Terminal of Nok-dong (1 time a day, 1 hour and 20 minutes)→Passenger Terminal of Geomon-do Port (10 minutes by taxi, 1 hour on foot)→Suweol Montain entry (30 minutes on foot)→Geomun-do lighthouse

Passenger Ship Service Information

Passenger Ship Service : http://yeosu.mof.go.kr/FerryPageAction.do?flag=main

Ticketing : http://island.haewoon.co.kr/

Tourism attractions


Baek-do is 28km away from Geomun-do to the east. It is composed of 39 unmanned islands, and is divided into Sangbaekdo and Habaekdo. Attractive rocks, stones and steep cliffs in various forms create the picturesque scenery of the islands. It is also home to a myriad of myths for Maebawi(rock), Seobangbawi(rock), Gaksibawi(rock), Hyeongjaebawi(rock) and Seokbulbawi(rock). In the beginning, the son of Jade King was exiled to this land because he had angered his father. The son fell in love with a daughter of the dragon king and enjoyed his life there. Several years later, the Jade King missed his son very much and sent 100 of his subjects to bring his son back home, but the subjects did not even return. The Jade King then became mad, and turned his son and the subjects into stones which are the small and big islands of Baek-do today. In addition, Baek-do was named because there were about 100 (Chinese letter: 百) islands. When it was actually counted, though, from the total was one less one hundred so the Chinese character of “Hanil(一: means one)” was deducted from its original letter (百: means hundred) and became "back (白:means white)”. On Baek-do, there are 30 different kinds of birds including a black dove (a Korean natural treasure) as well as subtropical plants such as Korean orchids, dendrobium moniliforme, juniperus chinensis var.sargentii, camellia and silver magnolias. It is a habitat for a total of 353 plants and 170 kinds of marine life (126 kinds of fauna and 44 kinds of flora), including a big red coral, a flower coral and porifera thanks to its average annual temperature of 16.3C. The underwater view is also splendid in addition to the grand view on the water. The mirage of Baek-do occurs in a bad weather (typhoon, rain, strong wind and high waves). It sounds like people chatting and pebbles rolling, as if sending a warning message that the risk is coming. It is a long-standing belief of fishermen that they are safe from high and strong waves if they change direction and get to Geomun-do when they recognize the sign of the mirage.

Yulim Beach

Yulim is a finesandy beach. The stair type entrance helps children enjoy their swimming safely. Drinking water, shower tents and a camp site are available. Location : 10 minutes on foot, crossing Samho Bridge from Seomun-ri

Graveyard of the U.K Army

In April, 1885 (22nd year of King Gojong), 6 British warships and 2 transport ships occupied Geomun-do and stayed there for 2 years, constructing their base station and port. It is said that there were 7 to 9 graves when they left, but only 3 graves are found today. Location: It is on the mountain from Geomun primary school on the left side of the Samsan myeon office of Geomundo. It takes about 10 minutes on foot.

Ikokmyeongsa Beach

Ikokmyeongsa Beach is one of 8 sceneries of Geomun-do. The beach facing the lighthouse at the back creates an exotic mood owing to the pebbles.
Location: Get there by using ship from Geomun Port to Seo-do (fare KRW 1,000 –KRW 2,000)

Gyuleun Sadang (shrine) / Manwhoi Kim, Yangrok sadang (shrine)

Gyuleun shrine is at Dong-do while Manwhoi Kim, Yangrok’s shrineis at Seo-do. They are famous for communicating in writing on the Russa warship that invaded Geomun-do.
Location: Get there by tour ship /ferry (KRW 4,000 per person)


In order to prevent the invasion of great powers and Japan, Geomunjin was established in Yuchon-ri, Dogn-do in 1888. Shin Seok-hyo was appointed as the head of the military base to defend 3 islands: Go-do, Dong-do and Seo-do. It was closed in 1895 (32nd year of Kong Gojong), with only its cornerstone preserved today.

Geomun-do Boatman’s Song (Intangible Cultural Asset No. 1 of Jeollanam-do)

Fishers (reside in Samsan-myeon of Geomun-do, Yeosu) sing the Boatman’s Song when they go out fishing or return with their ship full of fish. It has been passed down through generations by word of mouth for 4 centuries. Five verses constitute the song: “Gosasori”, “Notsori”, “Wolresori”, “Garaesori” and “Sseolsori”. Accompanied by three instruments, drum, kkwaenggwari (a small hand-held gong) and janggo (hand drum), it won a prize at the Namdo Cultural Festival in 1976.